Speech-Language Pathology

If you are interested in an ever-changing field that comes with the option of a flexible schedule all while helping others, you should consider speech-language pathology. Speech-language pathologists (SLPs) are professionals who assist individuals with communication disorders to learn to better communicate. The entry-level degree to work as an SLP is a master's degree. With a bachelor's degree, you can work as a speech-language pathology assistant (SLP-A), provided that you meet any additional requirements by the state in which you decide to practice (such as completion of observation hours).

SLPs work in a variety of settings including, but not limited to, schools, hospitals, preschools, rehabilitation centers and research centers. The American Speech Language Hearing Association (ASHA) is the national professional and credentialing organization for speech-language pathologists. ASHA's website has resources for undergraduate and graduate students interested in the field of communication disorders.

Graphic of the nine areas of speech-language pathology: fluency, speech, auditory habilitation/rehabilitation,expressive and receptive language, augmentative and alternative communication, social communication, cognitive communication, voice and resonance, and feeding and swallowing.

The list of practice areas in the figure are not comprehensive. Please refer to the ASHA Practice Portal for additional information regarding additional practice practice areas for the field of speech-language pathology.