Admission Requirements

The Program in Communication Disorders

Applicants must meet the following requirements to be considered for admission to the graduate program in Communication Disorders.

1. Undergraduate Prerequisites

What undergraduate course work do I need in order to apply?

Applicants to the master's degree program in speech-language pathology are expected to have completed prerequisite course work in normal speech, language and hearing functions, normal development, and speech-language and hearing disorders, as well as biological and physical sciences, behavioral and social sciences, and mathematics. The combined sequence of undergraduate and graduate course work meets the ASHA requirements for the Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology.

What if my undergraduate degree is in something else, like psychology or dance?

The Communication Disorders program offers a Post-Baccalaureate Plan Option, which is a pre-requisite to the Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology. This option is designed for individuals who have an undergraduate degree in an area of study different from communication disorders. It is a 36 semester hour program which provides individuals with the required academic background to apply for graduate degree programs in speech-language pathology that are accredited by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA).

Post Baccalaureate Plan Admissions Requirements.

Completion of the University of Arkansas Post Baccalaureate Course Option in Communication Disorders does not guarantee acceptance into graduate programs in speech-language pathology or audiology.

If you have further questions, please contact:
Larry Aslin, M.A., CCC-SLP
CDIS Undergraduate Advisor or (479) 575-4918

2. Graduate School University of Arkansas-Fayetteville

Do I need to be admitted to graduate school or only the program?

Applicants for graduate study in speech-language pathology must be admitted to the Graduate School at the University of Arkansas-Fayetteville.

Please Note: The "Graduate School Application" is sent directly to the graduate school. All applicants will complete a centralized application via CSDCAS ( that will be electronically forwarded to the Communication Disorders (CDIS) program.

3. Grade Point Average

How good of a grade point average do I need to apply for graduate study?

Applicants for graduate school must have earned an overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 in undergraduate course work.

4. Graduate Record Examination

What score on the GRE are you looking for?

The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is required for application to the program. To send your scores to CSDCAS, use the code: 7579. To send to the University of Arkansas Graduate School, use code: 6866. You must send scores to both CSDCAS and the U of A Graduate School.

5. Letters of Recommendation

Can mom and dad write a letter of recommendation?

Applicant must submit three letters of recommendation through the CSDCAS portal. These should be from people competent to judge the applicant's potential for graduate studies. CSDCAS will electronically contact the individuals you list as those completing recommendations. Therefore, ask these individuals prior to listing their names on CSDCAS.

If I meet the minimum requirements am I automatically accepted?

Meeting minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission to the program, since the number of qualified applicants often exceeds the number of program openings.