Clinical Supervision Benefits and Resources
The Role of the Clinical Supervisor
A clinical supervisor provides mentorship, supervision, training, and education to graduate student clinicians in speech-language pathology. Additionally, clinical supervisors teach setting-specific skills, assist with critical thinking, model professional behavior, and help to bridge the connection between foundational knowledge and clinical application.
Program Benefits to Clinical Supervisors
- Mentor of the Year Award opportunities
- Collaboration opportunities with UA faculty (research, presentations and publications)
- Discounted rates to UA Communication Sciences and Disorders' spring and fall conferences
- Social media posts of job openings for your clinic
- Free supervision CEUs (continuing education units) through the Council of Academic Programs in Communication Sciences and Disorders (CAPCSD) e-learning courses
Are You Interested in Becoming a Clinical Supervisor?
Clinical Supervision Resources
We have compiled a list of resources and reference materials available by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) to assist clinical supervisors in providing students with high impact clinical practicum opportunities. For program-specific resources, established clinical supervisors should log into their Typhon account and search under "School Documents." (PDF)
ASHA Administrator Fact Sheets
- Supervision of Speech-Language Pathology (SLP) Graduate Students in Health Care: What Administrators Need to Know (PDF)
- Supervision of Speech-Language (SLP) Graduate Students in Public Schools: What Administrators Need to Know (PDF)
ASHA Practice Portal on Clinical Education and Supervision
The ASHA Practice Portal shares important principles, key issues, preparation resources and goals for mentorship and supervision of graduate students in audiology and speech-language pathology in university and off-site settings.
ASHA Position Statements
Clinical Supervision in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology
Clinical Education and Supervision Articles
- ASHA Practice Portal ‘Clinical Education and Supervision.’
- ASHA Leader The Basics of Supervision
- ASHA Leader How Supervising Students Can Enrich Your Career-and Your Health Care Facility